Monday, May 2, 2011

Favorite Singers: Jonathan Davis


Yes, I'm still doing these. I just have way too many favorite singers, and it was hard to narrow it down to just these. But on to Jonathan Davis.
When you hear a Korn song, you know it's Korn as soon as Davis starts singing. I've never heard a voice that sounds remotely like his, which is pretty remarkable these days, when nu-metal bands are a dime a dozen. (Not that Korn doesn't stand apart musically as well; you can definitely hear the rap influence in their sinister, punching beats.) His voice is kind of nasal, sort of wrung and tortured out of him, but it has a remarkable elegance about it that made him the perfect choice for the singing voice of the vampire Lestat in the movie adaptation of Anne Rice's Queen of the Damned (One of my favorite movies of all time, even though it's nothing like the books. But that is a tangent I could spend forever on, and I'm not going to digress - yet that is a good idea for a post: horror movie soundtracks.). He also pretty much single-handedly wrote the soundtrack for that movie, which is fantastic. I will post a blurb about that later, with my favorite tracks and comments.
Davis, with Korn, also contributed to the Nightmare Revisited soundtrack, a new take on the Nightmare Before Christmas songs, with a version of "Kidnap the Sandy Claws" that is both creepy and whimsical.
His lyrics are pained, despairing, and lovely for all their stark nakedness, and it's his talent, musical, vocal, and lyrical, that's made Korn what it is. I know I keep saying that about bands, but you've got to admit, if your singer sucks, even though you've got a great guitar player, you probably won't be very successful. It can work vice versa, too, but singers are the face, the image, and the main sound.

Best tracks: "Twisted Transistor," "Coming Undone," "Alone I Break," "Freak on a Leash," "Pop a Pill"

1 comment: