Thursday, April 7, 2011

Jada Pinkett Smith: Metal Goddess



Did you, like me, hate the inane chorus of Willow Smith's single "I Whip My Hair?" Yeah? Well, what if I told you that she's into Lamb of God? Yep, her mom, Jada Pinkett Smith, said she loves that kind of music, in an interview with metro.co.uk.
If you think it's weird for the daughter of rapper/actor/coolest man alive Will Smith to like metal, you might not know that her mother is the frontwoman for a nu-metal band, Wicked Wisdom.
The band wasn't very well known despite its famous lead singer when Sharon Osbourne booked them for Ozzfest in 2008. Fans of the annual festival were outraged, even threatening Pinkett Smith with death. "When I played metal music, I was mocked," Smith says in the interview. "I got death threats when I was added to the Ozzfest lineup but I stuck with it. At the end of that, people got on board. Me doing metal was one of my biggest learning experiences. A lot of my success is down to not being afraid. I came to Hollywood by myself when I was 18. If my mother had thought "What's going to happen?" and kept me in the house, I'd never have had the life I have."
I say kudos to her for being a true rocker (also, she's got to be the most awesome mom in the world). And as for Wicked Wisdom, they're working on a third studio album right now, tentatively titled Wrath of the Wicked. I'll post their creepy, Poe-like video for "Bleed All Over Me" below. Also, check out Pinkett Smith's full interview here.

No comments:

Post a Comment