Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Favorite Singers: Adam Gontier

From the time I heard Three Days Grace's breakout hit, "I Hate Everything About You," I was intrigued by Adam Gontier's unique harsh-yet-melodic voice.
There's something about Three Days Grace's songs that is prettier, more melodic than their other post-grunge counterparts, though the subject matter is anything but light.
I'm kind of hardcore in the fact that even though Life Starts Now, their latest, was a softer, prettier album than any before it, I still think One-X was their best, and it's still one of my favorite albums. Gontier's voice is just so raw and powerful on this album, and the lyrics are so real, probably because he admitted a lot of the lyrics are very personal: “The record is a lot more personal to me than our first record, just in the sense that our last record was sort of written about our friends, and things that happened around us and growing up in a small town,” said Gontier in an interview with the Associated Press. “This record is sort of more about my life over the last few years.” That included a stint in rehab for addiction to OxyContin, after which Gontier and the band did acoustic tours in several rehab facilities, where Gontier would answer questions about his addiction. I say mad props for overcoming that. I know personally that addictions suck, and to find a way to help others through that is awesome.

Best tracks: "I Hate Everything About You," "Home," "Pain," "Animal I Have Become," "Riot," "The Good Life," "Last to Know"

No comments:

Post a Comment