Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Favorite Singers: Ville Valo

Ville Valo, the somewhat androgynous (he kind of looks like what you'd expect Anne Rice's vampire Lestat to look like), hypnotic-eyed lead singer of Finnish rock band HIM, definitely doesn't have a so-so voice. I first noticed HIM when I listened to their cover of Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game." Valo is a baritone, his voice reminiscent of the late Peter Steele of Type-O Negative, but it is astounding coming from someone of his build. Fellow Finns Apocalyptica asked him and Lauri Ylonen (from Finnish band The Rasmus) to cut vocals on the song "Bittersweet." I kind of wished they hadn't, because Ylonen's voice sort of annoys me, but when I heard the track, I was impressed.
Valo is notorious for being friends with Bam Margera, the Jackass star, and also for his collection of tattoos, which include the "heartagram" logo of HIM designed by Valo himself.

Best tracks: "The Kiss of Dawn," "Wings of a Butterfly," "Bleed Well," "Wicked Game"

No comments:

Post a Comment