Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Album Reviews: "Disc-overy," Tinie Tempah

Okay, I didn't post on Monday because of the holiday here in the US, and I completely spaced it on Tuesday, which is a real shame, because the album I have to share with you today is really top-notch.
Tinie Tempah (real name Patrick Okogwu) is a South London rapper who just barely released the American version of his debut, Disc-overy, here in the States, so I may be way behind the times for all those in the UK.
 
The singles that have been big here are "Pass Out" and "Written in the Stars (ft. Eric Turner)." While I'm not big on the anguished piano of "Written in the Stars," I have to say that my sister and I have become absolutely infatuated with the purely British way in which the skinny, bespectacled Tempah says "pass out."

Tempah is listed as "grime" by most sources - a genre that started in East London - but his music definately has elements of hip-hop. He's toured in support of Rihanna, and his song "Invincible" is a duet with former Destiny's Child member Kelly Rowland. (Incidentally, it's a good song, but it has a certain cliched huge sound and soaring lyrics.) But it has a certain melodic quality that you don't find in American hip-hop. This is definitely one to check out, whether or not you enjoy rap/hip-hop.

Best tracks: "Pass Out," "Frisky," "Wonderman"

No comments:

Post a Comment