Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Artists to Check Out: Tech N9ne

I was never one who was much into rap. When I'm listening to music, I like lyrics that are deep and sometimes spooky - and rap, with the exception of some Eminem and 2Pac, doesn't really fit into that category. I'll admit, I get in the mood for a good booty-shakin' song just as much as anyone else ("Get Buck in Here" with Akon being one of my favorites), but generally I prefer rock.

My interest has recently been piqued, however, by one Aaron Dontez Yates, aka Tech N9ne. He's been called "bizarre hardcore rap" by one Allmusic reviewer, and after listening to the rhymes he pops off (he was nicknamed after the Tec-9 semiautomatic for a reason), I'd have to agree with that. He lists Metallica and The Doors alongside Just-Ice and Wu-Tang as influences on his music.

Not to say that he doesn't like to rap about booties and money, but his style is a tad different from other rappers. For instance, his latest video, the one for "He's A Mental Giant," includes a dark, creepy version of the Wizard of Oz.

He is one of the only successful independent rappers in the United States, having been represented by his own label, Strange Music, since its inception in 1999. His latest album, All 6s and 7s, has gained commercial success, due to inclusion of artists such as Lil Wayne, Busta Rhymes, and Deftones (that's right, I said Deftones). It is also strong in old-fashioned, fast-slick rapping, with tracks like "Worldwide Choppers" leaving the listener feeling dizzy and disoriented. All in all, this is one rapper that fans of every genre (with the exception of country) will want to check out.

1 comment:

  1. I've only really ever listened to one or two Tech N9ne songs, but I definitely agree with you on "Get Buck in Here." I love that song, but I don't like rap either.

    ReplyDelete