Monday, January 7, 2013

Introducing: Charlotte Hackett



With all the would-be singer-songwriters out there, caterwauling in front of a camera, it can be hard to find anyone with any actual talent - let's face it; the Internet has made people WAY too bold. But this does not apply to the young songwriter I'm introducing today.

Charlotte Hackett is an intense Taylor Swift aficionado who just picked up the guitar a year ago and has been singing "as long as I can remember." She's also just thirteen years old. The Manchester, U.K. singer has posted numerous videos on her YouTube channel, covering everything from Justin Bieber to The Pistol Annies' "Hell on Heels," simply playing in her room for enjoyment. And Hackett has others enjoying along with her: the comments pages are brimming with praise for Hackett's simple, sweet melody lines and her mature, Deschanel-esque voice.

Hackett, who also plays the ukelele and lists other influences as The Fray, Ed Sheeran, and Nina Nesbitt, says of her songwriting process: "I might get a line or a tune in my head, or I might just strum the same few chords until I have something. It's all very rushed and disorganized with me."

The song posted above, "Empty Double Decker Bus," is the first original song I heard of Hackett's. She says of the song: "It's about a particularly wonderful bus journey I had recently, where I felt comfortable, and genuinely happy for the first time in a while. I only write songs about things that I have been through; I struggle to do anything else."

Hackett is due to be featured on the UK blog One on One Music soon. All I can say is, someone this young and talented should not be ignored. It's a shame that her videos only have several hundred views - I'm trying to change that by introducing her on this blog.

Follow Charlotte on Twitter (@goneloststolen
Like Charlotte's Facebook page (Charlotte Hackett)
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment