Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Lzzy Hale Covering Lita Ford? ... In Other News, David Draiman Has a New Band


So, I'm kind of an eighties rock geek. Sorry, but there was some good music back then, although the hair was a bit much. The worst part is that I love ballads - Warrant's "Heaven," Cinderella's "Don't Know What You Got" ... yep, I'm in deep.

One of my favorite of these is "Close My Eyes Forever," by Lita Ford featuring Ozzy Osbourne. Man, I love the way that girl can screech, especially through the line "warm and dark embrace." Ozzy's dry, smooth vocals are a perfect match.

So I was really intrigued when it was announced that Disturbed frontman David Draiman has asked Lzzy Hale of Halestorm to cover the song with him on the debut album of his new industrial (Draiman tweeted: "Imagine old school NIN/Ministry, but with my vocs") project, Device.

In my opinion, songs should only be covered if they sucked in the first place and can be done better as a remake (Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game," anyone?) but it's always interesting to see different bands and genres interpret the same song differently. Draiman has a really powerful voice, and can pretty much interpret anything, but it's the female part that needs to sound powerful on this song. Hale has a great voice, but filling Lita Ford's shoes is no small thing.

Device was started when musician Geno Lenardo asked Draiman to help him write a song for the latest Underworld film. "[I] found that working with him as a songwriting partner was very easy and fluid. He's a very strong songwriter in his own right," Draiman said.

Other guests artists on the album are slated to include Avenged Sevenfold's M. Shadows, System of a Down's Serj Tankian, and Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine.

What do you think of Lzzy Hale and David Draiman collaborating?

No comments:

Post a Comment