Thursday, May 5, 2011

Awesome Finds: Queen of the Damned Soundtrack



Okay, I normally hate soundtracks. They're usually instrumental music that I didn't even think was that good in the movie. And don't even get me started on all those cutesy, wholesome musicals - unless it's Phantom of the Opera. For some reason, I like that one.
Anyway, this is one soundtrack that I've grown to appreciate more and more since I first heard it - and that's not just because it comes from one of my favorite movies.
Like I was saying on the Jonathan Davis post, he composed the film's music, in addition to writing five original songs for the vampire Lestat's rock band in the film: "Not Meant for Me," "Forsaken," "System," "Redeemer," and "Slept so Long." Originally, Davis was supposed to sing on the soundtrack, but record company red tape prevented him, so he asked some friends and fellow musicians to cut vocals (Davis still recorded keyboards, guitars, and/or bass for many of the songs; Korn bandmates Head and Munky also helped). On the soundtrack, "Not Meant for Me" is sung by Wayne Static of Static-X; "Forsaken" by David Draiman of Disturbed, "System" by Chester Bennington of Linkin Park, "Redeemer" by Marilyn Manson, and "Slept so Long" is done by Jay Gordon of Orgy. So not only do you get some well-known singers in there, you also hear some unknown bands. The other songs are not original, but they're perfect for the mood of the movie, and include Papa Roach and Deftones as well as bands like Earshot and Godhead.
Obviously, the original songs are my favorite; it's interesting to see how Davis works outside of Korn. The music is beautiful, agonized, and haunting, in a way that's as large as the universe and yet compact and simple, and the lyrics mesh perfectly with the idea of a vampire who's wondering about his existence and the world in general, with such lines as "I see hell in your eyes" and "I can't speak it, or else you will dig my grave." This is the only soundtrack I've ever bought and it's good for the metal fan, yes, but aficionados of every genre (with the possible exception of country) will be able to appreciate the dark, brooding strings and elegant rhythms. I recommend it highly. I really don't post enough criticism on here - I kind of have just been putting up what I like lately. I'll try to work in something I'm not as fond of.

My favorite Jonathan Davis tracks: "Slept so Long," "Forsaken"

My favorite tracks from other bands: "Down with the Sickness" (Disturbed), "Change (In the House of Flies)" (Deftones)

No comments:

Post a Comment