Saturday, May 21, 2011

Bands to Check Out: System of a Down

Sometimes certain bands can surprise you. This was the case for me with System of a Down.
I first heard this band when I was in high school, in a weightlifting class. I thought, "Wow, that guy has a cool voice," and didn't think about them again, except to get them confused in my mind (for some inexplicable reason) with Theory of a Deadman, whom I don't really care for.
Anyway, I checked them out again this week when I heard "Chop Suey!" on one of my Pandora stations. Turns out all four of them are Armenian American, and many of their songs have to do with the political climate, with media control over the public mentality, and with various world events, such as the Armenian genocide during World War I in 1915. In addition to lead vocalist Serj Tankian's interesting (I really can't describe it; it's something you've got to listen to) voice, their music is very haunting, very reminiscent of Balkan folk songs at times, even through the heavy grind of guitarist Daron Malakian's playing style.
They went on hiatus from 2006-2010, during which Malakian formed his own band, Scars on Broadway, which is vastly different from System.
I like bands that tend to wax political, but it's kind of rare to find that in a metal band, rather than in a punk outfit. Also, the band's Armenian heritage clearly influences their music, as does their self-proclaimed main influence, Slayer. Definitely some of the best metal I've heard in a while.

Best tracks: "Sugar," "Aerials," "BYOB," "Streamline," "P.L.U.C.K."

No comments:

Post a Comment